- Saving a million lives a year is the ultimate goal.
- Education is the long-term path to that goal.
- Advocating for legal protection from arbitrary laws, outdated kill policies, and misguided organizations is a temporary necessity to keep the cats alive for the other 2 to take effect.
The above 3 items comprise our basic strategy.
Harley, a FIV+ mature male, lives at FIV Cat Rescue headquarters but hopes to someday have a forever home.
The strategy itself is aimed at achieving 3 specific goals which, once achieved, will lock all gains into place.
The missions can be summarized as:
1. Stop The Killing
2. Support The Supporters
3. Create Permanent Solutions.
Click on a Mission Statement below to read the details of our plans to achieve it.
#1: End The Killing Of FIV+ Cats By …
EDUCATING vets, animal rescues, shelters, and the public about current FIV research to change outdated policies. We will:
- Work with FIV researchers to compile the latest FIV facts
- Package those facts into a book and a series of professionally prepared videos
- Distribute 1 or both widely, so that shelters and vets can re-examine their “kill policies” based on current research
- Educate the general public so that they do not surrender their pets for termination.
#2: Support People & Organizations That …
Are on the front lines: rescues, rescuers, and shelters
- Refer individuals trying to save individual FIV+ cats to other organizations equipped for that task
- Provide information and support for FIV friendly groups
- Provide tools for rescues and rescuers to use for positive change.
#3: Provide Long-Term Solutions So That …
“Saved” cats lead healthy, happy lives in happy homes. Saving a million cats a year is a great first step. Next we must deal with an extra million cats a year!
- Change the prevailing mindset from Kill to Love for those with a FIV+ diagnosis
- Promote spay-and-neuter programs to stop over-population, spread of disease, and justification for killing
- Support long-term feral solutions, such as TNR
- Create a public national database of FIV+ friendly shelters, rescues and sanctuaries
- Create materials to help good shelters find good homes for these special cats with not-so-special needs.
The Solution: The antidote to misinformation is well researched facts, widely distributed. Once a tipping point of knowledge is reached, no one will willingly return to out-of-date beliefs.
As antiquated myths die, beautiful formerly unadoptable cats will live.
Jimmy has found a home, while Tigger still awaits his future family at FIV Cat Rescue headquarters.
Funding: The solution to the solution is money. Our 3 missions are achievable, it is just a question of time and funding. If you would like to contribute to this solution, please visit our Donate page to learn about options for your tax deductible donation.